Before You Leave The House: Checklist
So you’ve chosen your final time capsule entries. Now you need to place each single piece (or small groups of non-document items), in heavy duty polyethylene freezer bags. These bags simply provide an extra level of isolation.
Your personal documents, i.e., letters, photos, cards etc. need to be slipped into the silver MVP® bag . You may want to write a few special notes when you arrive at your destination and then insert them into this MVP® bag (image right), so don’t seal your capsule until you’re ready to leave the drop site.
As you insert items into your capsule you will want to list some or all of them on your Geocapsuling Data Sheet. (You may want to withhold a few items from the list, just to add to the intrigue.)
Included in the Preservation Kits obtainable from Future Packaging you’ll find desiccant paks to buffer any leak of humidity into your time capsule. After loading up your GEOcap time capsule, place these paks in the container, then seal the capsule.
GEOcap: The smaller time capsule has a ring sealed, air tight top. But inserting the included silica gel pak (desiccant) will buffer the contents from any possible moisture intrusion.
GEOtube: The larger GEOtube capsule which comes with the hollow-log, needs some additional security. An oxygen absorber pak provides it, as does a final silicone seal that is applied to the screw top before placing the capsule inside the log.
You will take some more protective measures at your drop site, but we’ll cover those later. Now you are ready to pack up your materials and head on out. Remember, we do not sell these products. Instead we provide links to resellers on our Geocapsule Products page.
Before You Leave Your House
Recommended Geocapsuling Items to Pack
1. Your Hollow Rock or Hollow Log
2. Time Capsule with desiccant paks and oxygen absorber paks inside
3. Tube of silicone to seal the stainless steel cap at the drop site (For the small capsule only)
4. The Geocapsuling Data Sheet (from the Retrieval Folder) to fill in at the drop site
5. 1 Gel Pen for writing personal notes to be placed in the time capsule
6. Acid Free writing paper
7. Camera (Include new batteries if digital. If film camera, take extra rolls.)
9. Print a topographical map of your intended hiking area if known prior to your trek. (See Reference page for links to topo maps.)
10. Print a TerraServer Map of your hiking area if known prior to your trek. (See Reference page for TerraServer link.)
11. Your GPS device with fresh batteries and instruction manual.
12. Gloves to aid in removal of existing boulder
1. Walkie Talkies
2. Simple hand held compass (to later identify compass directions on photos)
3. Small camera tripod to allow a group photo with a shutter timer